Thursday, November 14, 2013

Daily Post #1: Train-Hopping: From DDD, FB to CNI


With apologies to Harold Lloyd.

I've come to see not just the value of stocks, but stock dividends and splits.  Pinching and scraping fractional shares of DDD together to shore up a 4-share position into six $40 shares, which ultimately became nine shares that climbed to over $75 each, has been one of the best portfolio moves I've made.

I'm thrilled with DDD's groundbreaking technology and stock performance, and pretty happy with FB's recent climb, but it's time for me to spin them off into a company that's about (or should I say aboot) as different as possible: CNI, Canadian National Railway.  Shareholders who own the stock by end of day tomorrow will receive an extra share for each one held by November 29th.  There is already one share of CNI in my portfolio, so I plan on having ten shares of CNI and 4.5 of DDD soon.

Intended portfolio as of Nov. 15:

CNI 5
DDD 4.5
TWO 6
FLST 500
LQMT 600

Without an unlimited-transaction account, transaction fees would have eaten me alive, so if you're thinking of doing the same with an equally small number of shares, I recommend not using a per-transaction company. 

Disclaimer: I do not advocate buying any of the above stocks; please buy at your own discretion.

If you like my advice, I'm gladly accepting tips.

Even $1 will help me grow my portfolio.  Comments are very welcome too!  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment